Got request to include some fulltext search to application written in Python. Using wrapper around Lucene emerged as impractical - requires to install Lucene and two intermediate layers, patching one of them on the way.
Luckily my colleague told me about Whoosh - fulltext engine written in pure Python. Although in alpha stage of development, it's usable. I hit some bugs but the workarounds were simple.
I've managed to get WOLips working last month. Finally. There are some visual problems with lines drawn during drag and drop. Also EO model for Derby is not working - I've tried and ended using PostgreSQL. The worst was when during work the model got damaged and I had to redo several classes :(. But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.